Friday, August 23, 2019

Wikipedia Trails: From Buddhi to Hindustani Language

Start: Buddhi

I wanted to create one big Wikipedia Trail with all the Wikipedia Trail I do this semester. Therefore, I just picked up where I started off on the last trail. The original reason I picked this one is that it was the word for intellect and I was following emotion words.


Second Link: Vedic Sanskrit

I chose to go to the page of Vedic Sanskrit cause I had been focusing on words a lot in my last Wikipedia trails and now wanted to get the root of where those words were coming from. I learned that it was an Indo-European language and it's the common language of most things from Hinduism in the mid-2nd to mid-1st millennium. The page also talked about the chronology of the languages and that was need.


Third Link: Indo-European Languages

I clicked on this link because the whole area just seemed like such a broad area and I wanted to learn more about what was meant by "Indo-European Languages". I was right when it seemed broad, because it includes English, Spanish, Hindustani, Russian, and most modern languages of Europe. The reason for the large variance is how far it spread.


End: Hindustani Language

I wanted to go back to something a little more on topic of Indian Epics so I clicked on the Hindustani Language. The thing I learned is that there's a very small place where it is actually considered the native language. I also learned that a break-off of Hindustani is Hindu and that's the official language of India.

Places where Hindustani is the nativelanguage are in red




2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Jess, the idea of a giant Wikipedia Trail is SO COOL. I think I will try to do that too! (I'm taking the Myth-Folklore class this semester; I did Epics last semester). Wonderful! And even if you decide to backtrack and branch off, it's still all connected. What a fabulous idea for the semester! Nobody has tried anything like that before, and it sounds really fun. And now you know that English IS related to the languages of India, or north India anyway (the languages of south India are really fascinating also; that language family is called Dravidian). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess just a correction Hindustani is who you call someone who is an Indian and Hindu is their religion like the way you call Christians and "Hindi" is the native language that people practice it is India's national language. Sanskrit is still used in todays days because all the Hindu prayers are in Sanskrit and on a side note present day Marathi which is my mother tongue is the closest language to Sanskrit.

    ReplyDelete