Monday, August 19, 2019

Week 2 Reading Overview

I think for the reading of Ramayana I'm going to use the public domain version of the book because I think the way it's pulled together will make it more interesting to read and I also like how I can read it online. I also think it will be interesting to read it in the old language and see the illustrations for it,=. As I was browsing through the comics and the videos these are the ones that caught my eye:

Vaishno Devi: Goddess of the Hills

I chose this comic because of the cover. It's a really powerful and strong looking woman but she's stated as the goddess of the hill, which isn't really something considered powerful in western culture, so I'm curious to read her story.

The Giant and the Dwarf: A Jataka Tale of Wit and Wisdom

I chose this one because there's a lot of stories across mythologies that have the same general principle and idea and moral. The story of the giant and the dwarf is a common theme, I feel like and something that I could probably see similarities to other stories while still enjoying the original story for it's differences.

Rama and Ramayana: Crash Course World Mythology #27

I choose the crash course because they really helped me in high school when learning about world history. It takes the complicated topics and puts it into bit sized pieces and makes them fun to learn about. I always try to watch crash courses on things when I can.

Powerful Women of Hindu Mythology

This video interested me because I always enjoy getting to read about powerful woman and what they've gotten to do in their times. I think figuring out who the powerful women are in this mythology will also help me get more interested in the myths.


I chose this image because I could tell there was a bigger story at play within it and I am very curious as to what the story is. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jess, I am glad you found such a cool image; if you like looking at the images, that is one of the best reasons to choose the PDE epic to read. And I wanted to comment because the goddess there up in the upper right-hand part of the image is the goddess Saraswati, who is in today's announcements. That is a cool coincidence! Here is more about her: Saraswati, goddess of music and wisdom

    ReplyDelete