Friday, September 20, 2019

Week 7 Story: Meet the Family

Meet the Family (Updated Version)

Hey all, my name is Parikshit, and today I’m going to introduce you to my family tree. I will warn you, it gets a little crazy, so please try your best to follow along.

First let’s start with King Vichitravirya. He had two wives, Ambika and Ambalika (they were sisters) who gave him two sons, Dhritarashtra and Pandu. Now, Once King Vichitravirya died, his mother thought of her other son, Vyasa. He terrified Ambika so much so that when she saw him, she closed her eyes. Therefore, Dhritarashtra was born blind. Ambalika was also terrified, but she went pale. Therefore Pandu was pale. Vyasa is my great-great grandfather and the father of both Dhritarashtra and Pandu.

The next generation is a little more complicated. So Dhritarashtra married Gandhari and she had Duryodhana, Dushasana, Dussala and 98 other sons in total. These children are usually referred to as the Kauravas. Pandu married a woman named Kunti, who already has a son named Karna. This son was Surya’s son and grew up so quickly that Kunti didn’t really raise him. Kunti had three sons: Yudhishthira, Bhima, and Arjuna while Pandu’s other wife, Madri, had two sons: Nakula and Sahadeva. Now, all these sons were actually fathered by different deities, but Pandu always claimed them as his own as we all just let him. Pandus 5he sons were typically referred to as the Pandavas.

My father was the son of Arjuna and his wife Subhadra, and he married Uttara, my mother, who had me. When I was born, I was born dead, but Krishna brought me back to life. I was eventually made king of my grandfather’s kingdom, but the story to get there is a little complicated...

There was always a big feud between the Pandavas and the Kauravas. They all grew up together after Pandu’s death, and it was a household with 105 sons, there was going to be fights. You see the Pandavas were extremely gifted and very talented, which made Dhritarashtra’s eldest son, Duryodhana extremely jealous. So jealous that Duryodhana ended up disrespecting my great-uncles’ wife, Draupadi, and then sent my great-uncles’ to exile in the forest. But after their exile, they declared war on the Kauravas. The war was bloody and many died, including my father, Abhimanyu, and every single one of my uncles and aunts, and all of the Kauravas. My family won, but at great cost. This is how I was made the heir of the throne, even though I was the grandson of Kunti’s youngest son.

So while my family maybe complicated, but who's family doesn't have a little drama in it. And I’m so grateful for my family’s hard work that ended with me on the throne. Author's Note: The most confusing part of the Mahabharata for me was the family tree. There was so many characters and so many character names and I just kept getting confused. So for my story this week, I decided to have it be from the youngest member of the Pandava family, Parikshit, and have him tell his families story. It mainly focuses on the family tree to help me straighten things out, but also give a bit of the family drama involved at the end of the Mahabharata, because who doesn't like a little bit of family drama.

Source: Mahabharata (Public Domain Version)
Family Trees from Source

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jess, I think that this story is very interesting and fun to read along. I like your storytelling style as well. Having one narrator tell his story makes it more personal. I wish you would have included an Author's Note though because you are far ahead in the class and I do not know what your inspiration for this story was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jess! I really enjoy your descriptive narration of your family tree and the way you incorperated yourself into the story. It was very creative and you possess a great writing skill. Your story also gets a little outragous with the 98 sons but that is part of making up a story, you can put your own spin on it. Also yes, this family tree was hard to imagine in my head, maybe you could incorperate a picture of the family tree if you ever find time to do that lol. I havent read this story yet but it sounds like a wild one and im not sure how many names the story actually includes but I would hope its not that many. You did a good job at explaining the connection between relative but it seemed that it ended a little blunt and you may have rushed the ending. I still enjoyed the story a lot so great job over all! Keep up the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jess! I really like that you did a writing over the family tree. And I like that you made it interesting to read! The family tree got so confusing for me while reading the Mahabharata, and your story helped give me a refresher of everyone's lineage. Overall, it was a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess! I like how you took a confusing part of the story and challenged yourself to write a story to set things straight! I think if there is any way to do it, this is the best way. One little formatting suggestion: where your story concludes and your author's note begins you might want to consider putting a space or two to separate them. Other than that, I think you did a good job here with the family tree. While the explanations got a little heavy, I appreciate the last paragraph/sentence as a sort of pause to review and reflect as a whole from his own perspective. Perhaps you could even build on that if you so choose!

    ReplyDelete